Friday, June 03, 2005

Fear and Loathing of the 'B' Word

Okay so I have resisted and derided this whole web logging phenomenon since it hit primetime. Hell now every ignoramus with half an opinion and an internet connection has a soapbox! I mean why on earth would anyone want to read about what Chris did at work today, or what flavour ice cream was served in the cafe at lunch? Which seemed to be the extent of some peoples efforts. But hang on a minute though... I am an ignoramus and I have half an opinion on lots of stuff! If you can't beat 'em... Join 'em!

Seriously though I have recently been most impressed with the level of discourse at many online logging sites. What web logging has done is put some form and structure around what would have otherwise been badly put together and improperly maintained personal websites that would scare potential audiences away. Now, with web logs, people can have their say and not worry about crappy web design or having to decide on some sort of structure to put their opinions in. Otherwise unsaid comment is now widely accessible and visible via the best public access broadcast system of the day: the internet. Technology web logs consolidate information about all manner of techy things, political pundits have been born and made it big online and the intelligent everyperson now has a place to say his or her piece to the wider audience. If he or she has something interesting to say then people will surely listen. It is quite amazing how little rubbish there really is... Okay so left handed macrame might not be your thing, but hell it doesn't mean your cack-handed uncle shouldn't try and consolidate his left handed audience using an online web log! The point is that even if you have a very narrow focus on your web log, if you can atract more than two or three like minded people then you have consolidated an audience that would have otherwise probably not existed. This is the true beauty of the net in this sense. Small niche's can come together across great geographical divides and share in a common interest. I cant think of another way an average Joe could reach so many pairs of eyes so easily.

I have one fundamental problem with all this stuff... The name, and this is the only time I will ever write it on this site, 'blog', 'blogging, 'blogger' etc etc ad nauseum. Its of course far to late now to change the anything now that it is ingrained in popular culture. But should I meet the genius
(It is probably well known who this person is, but for obvious reasons I have not tried to hard to find out!) that put web and log together and came up with the 'b' word (as it shall now be known), I would be sure to let forth a long chain of expletives clearly expressing my dissatisfaction with the stupid sounding contraction that, to me, mocks what has turned out to be an important communication mechanism... I am sure then that the discussion would probably turn to a debate on the factual and plot errors in the Star Wars movies, as I am sure to an almost certainty that this person is a complete and utter trainspotter... Note: I really like trainspotters. Honestly! They are the most fascinating and interesting people on the planet. (more on this later!)

There I said it! Maybe I am alone in feeling this way, but I truly loath the 'b' word as the description that has made it into our language and popular culture. So as a mark of (tongue in cheek) defiance the evil name shall never be uttered here!

In his online 'b' word
a former workmate and friend of mine Darryl Burling, now considers me to have ascended to true geekyness embarking on this effort. Maybe he is right... I have some geeky reasons for doing this at this stage and some not so geeky. Some of these reasons I will outline in later posts, but mainly I sussed out what it was I have always wanted in my own website:
  1. A place I could point lots of people to and say "there is my opinion on X"
  2. A place to share some of my thoughts and interests with lots of people and see if there are any like minded folk out there. (Please don't let me be alone!)
  3. I am about to embark on a personally life changing adventure (moving countries) and I wanted somewhere I could let people know about stuff that happens along the way from my perspective
  4. Somewhere to put Google Ads to gather click through revenue!
Then I woke up one day and realised that's what a web log does and I should stop trying to figure out how to write a decent website framework of my own leaving no time for actual content and exploit a pre-built logging site. I also keep making off the cuff verbal comments about all sorts of rubbish but since it is never put in writing no one could nail me on it... So here it is... Like it or loath it, welcome to Blipverts.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Darryl said...

Very cool! Great Post!

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friends and I like to buy Anarchy credits, because the Anarchy Online credits is very useful to upgrade equipment. Only your equipment becomes better, then you can win this game. In Anarchy gold, you can buy everything you want in this game. Tomorrow will be my birthday, so my friends promise to buy AO credits as gifts. I am so happy. They understand me so well, Anarchy online gold is my favorite.
I like angels gold very much because it is very useful. In fact at first sight I have fallen in love with angels online gold. So no matter how much I have spent to buy angels gold, I never regret. Because of cheap angels online gold, I meet a lot of friends.

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you heared about 9Dragons which you need use 9Dragons gold to play, and you can also borrow 9 Dragons gold from other players? But you can buy 9 Dragons gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap 9Dragons gold. If you get 9Dragons money, you can continue this game.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you heared about a game which you need use Atlantica online Gold to play, and you can also borrow Atlantica Gold from other players? But you can buy Atlantica online Gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap Atlantica online Gold. If you get Atlantica online money, you can continue this game.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you heared about a game which you need use Anarchy credits to play, and you can also borrow Anarchy Online credits from other players? But you can buy AO credits, or you will lose the choice if you do not have Anarchy online gold. If you get Anarchy gold, you can continue this game.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know Asda Story gold? I like it. My brother often goes to the internet bar to buy Asda Story money and play it. After school, He likes playing games using these buy Asda Story Gold with his friend. I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me manycheap Asda Story gold and play the game with me.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know Asda Story gold? I like it. My brother often go to the internet bar to buy Asda Story money and play it. After school, He likes playing games using these buy Asda Story Gold with his friend. I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me manycheap Asda Story gold and play the game with me.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know dofus kama? I like it. My brother often goes to the internet bar to buy kamas and play it. After school, He likes playing games using these cheap kamas with his friend. I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many dofus gold and play the game with me. I came to the bar following him and found buy dofus kamas was so cheap.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a very nice game silkroad gold, I like sro gold. You can play it silkroad online gold, you can buy the cheap silk road gold. You smart and buy cheap silkroad gold.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know seal cegel? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy sealonline cegel and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these seal online cegel with his friends.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cheap seal cegeland play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy seal online cegelwas so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know latale online gold? I like it. My brother often go to the internet bar to buy latale gold and play it. After school, He likes playing games using these latale money with his friends. I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many buy latale online gold and play the game with me. I came to the bar following him and found cheap latale gold was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

8:32 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Buy Rom Gold is the chance. I always have a bad dream when my account was theft, since I buy Rom Gold ; I had not had the bad memory. At present, I want to say thanks to the people who stole my account, if he did not to do that, I would not play game, I would not have Runes of Magic Gold . Although I have little Runes of Magic money , I will on the way of the game for long time. At one time or another, I am a pessimistic person, but when I have cheap Runes of Magic Gold , it changes my attitude of life.

9:59 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

On account of I have rohan crone , I am not afraid of the lonely. At that time I do not know the meaning of it. Later I buy rohan gold . And every time, I have no rohan online crone , I will feel very anxious. Why I buy rohan online gold , please it gives me such a warm place. At the moment, I have rohan money .

9:59 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

runescape gold of RS Online Game, we have made several changes to Fun Orb. If you wish to buy runescape to explore other spell books, you should subscribe as a Fun Orb member. Shattered Plans - a galaxy-spanning strategy epic that use rs gold to allow up to six players to battle for supremacy. We only plan to pay cheap rs gold when we feel you will appreciate the updates. And we certainly feel that these changes and some runescape money are worth telling you about.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always heard something from my neighbor that he sometimes goes to the internet bar to play the game which will use him some LOTRO Gold, he usually can win a lot of Lord Of The Rings Gold, then he let his friends all have some buy LOTRO Gold, his friends thank him very much for introducing them the cheap Lord Of The Rings Gold.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to get some Perfect World Gold and the Buy Perfect World Gold is given by my close friend who tells me that the Perfect World Silver is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should Perfect World money with the spare money and I gain some cheap Perfect World Gold from other players. It is the pw gold which make me very happy.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always heard something from my neighbor that he sometimes goes to the internet bar to play the game which will use him some mabinogi gold,he usually can win a lot of cheap mabinogi,then he let his friends all have some mabinogi money,his friends thank him very much for introducing them the buy mabinogi gold,they usually mabinogi online gold together.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know that the wow gold? The players often forget to eat meal when they play the online games. In the game many players need the World of Warcraft Gold to up their levels. so they often search where can warcraft gold, I think our website maybe is your best choice. Many friends told me that in here can get buy wow gold, and here you can also relax yourself. so i hope more and more players come here to buy the cheap wow gold.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you know World of Kung fu Gold. And do you want to know? You can get WoKf gold here. And welcome to our website, here you can play games, and you will buy World of Kung fu Gold to play game. I know cheap World of Kung fu Gold, and it is very interesting. Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn much about World of Kung fu money. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you want to know the magic of online games, and here you can get more requiem gold. Do you want to have a try? Come on and requiem lant can make you happy. You can change a lot requiem money for play games. Playing online games can make much cheap requiem lant. If you want your game level to up highly, you can come here. And you can use the requiem online gold do what you want to do in the online game.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home